24 X 7    CALL : (226) 499-6822

What To Do If Your Home Smells Like Burnt Food?

A burnt popcorn smell is the one that homeowners experience most frequently. It is easy to forget about the popping snack in the microwave oven, if all members of the family have been caught up in the story provided by some form of in-home entertainment. Yet other foods could also be forgotten, and could thus, produce a distinctive odor.

The methods used to do away with such an odor works on all sorts of smells. The effectiveness of any one method will depend to a large extent on one specific factor. That is the degree to which some edible item got a bit overcooked, while being heated in a microwave oven.

Suggested methods

Soak a sponge with vinegar; after you have done that, cover the top of the wet sponge with baking powder. Put the same sponge in the microwave oven. Run the appliance for 30 seconds. Take the sponge off of the turntable and wipe down that same turntable, along with the microwave’s walls and door.

Soak cotton balls in nail polish remover. Use those same balls to wipe down the smelly microwave oven. Then do a second wipe-down, but use soap and water. If a chemical smell lingers, wipe again, using diluted vinegar.

Peel two oranges or lemons. Put the peeled fruit in a microwaveable bowl and add 1 to 2 cups of water. Put the bowl in the microwave oven and let the appliance run for 4 minutes. Do not remove it once the cycle has finished; instead let the bowl stay on the appliance’s turntable for 2 to 3 hours.

The above procedure can be varied, so that the created odor comes from a different food, or even a cooking ingredient. For example you could replace the citrus fruit with berries. Alternatively, you could use vanilla extract instead of any type of fruit.

If you nose tells you that none of the above methods seem able to deliver the anticipated results, you will have to try the overnight tactic. Get a box of baking soda and put it in the microwave appliance. Leave it there overnight. It should absorb the persistent odor. And if the smell does not go out, it is important to call on an appliance repair technicians in Waterloo.

How to avoid plumbing problems in the future

If you use the method that calls for nail polish remover, be careful about where you put the leftover solution. Do not throw it down the drain; it will cause your plumbing to corrode. Find an old bottle, one that has a cap, and pour it into that. Then dispose of that bottle in the same way that you dispose of other containers that are holding dangerous chemicals, such as the one that holds the grease used in the car’s engine.

dsappliancerepairwaterloo Appliance Repair